Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Snorkling and will we make it home


I was up early ish to head out and catch the boat we were jumping on a dive boat for the day, heading out to Island number 4 for a start then Island number 5, yep very original names I must say, must have taken them weeks to think of those. The boat trip out was not to bad there was me, Tania, our driver, the divemaster and an Italian going out for a beginners dive. It was on a long tailed boat. The sea was fairly calm when we left but the further away from the mainland we got the rougher it got.
The Italian guy by the time we arrived was looking a bit green around the gills, not a good start for a dive really. Once we were stopped I was over the side and in the water, have to say visibility was not so good because of the storm the day before and the waves today, I did manage to find a big group of clown fish and a sea snake which was pretty cool. Played with the clown fish for a while but kept my distance from the Sea Snake, best not to upset it. After an hour of looking around I headed back to the boat the weather was looking worse.
Once we were all back on board we headed to a sheltered bay to have lunch and relax for a bit, I did a bit of snorkeling after lunch but ended spending most of the time relaxing on the boat waiting for the divers to come back, they were not out there long as the Italian guy had been throwing up at lunch time and was still not very good the poor bugger. The rain started to come down as we headed off, I had borrowed a wetsuit and I am glad I did, the ride back was pretty rough and we were constantly getting covered in water, at a few points the water was pouring in over the side. I think I got more wet on the ride back then I did when I was snorkeling. Even the dive master was looking concerned at a couple of points, the driver seemed fairly relaxed so I just kept my eyes on him. If he looked worried then I would be worried.
After battling the waves for a hour we finally made it back to the safety of the harbor and I was kind of glad to be on solid ground again, I don’t think Tania enjoyed the ride back at all and the Italian differently did not he was still looking pretty green. I meet Tania again for dinner that night and depending on what happened the next day we would meet again. I was going to say one more night then head to Phuket for a couple of nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment