Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A day to do nothing and a bus ride


Had a day to waste in Ko san road, what do you do in Ko san road, shopping, well for me it was window shopping, just seeing how much they will sell things for, I had booked myself on a overnight bus to Krabi then would find a boat to Raileh beach and some long awaited beach time. Spent most of the day wandering the shops with Elizabeth and the she left about 1pm so I read my book and got on the internet for the afternoon. There was not much else to do. The bus was said to leave around 6pm so I had time.
Finally 6pm came around, I had grabbed some dinner and had some snacks for the bus ride, 13 hours so much fun. Got picked up at my hotel, by saying picked up someone came and got me and we walked to the bus together, it was pretty empty so hopefully I would have two seats to myself, and luckily that’s the way it was. When after maybe 30minutes we finally started to head off, we were doing so in the wrong direction, heading north not south, I had the moment of my god I am on the wrong bus and am heading up to Chang mai, O well it will be an adventure anyway.
We progressively worked our way through town and finally after about an hour we were heading south, so not for the hills but the ocean, excellent. Darkness had descended and the bus had picked up speed, then all of a sudden the brakes were hard on and we were slowing up pretty quick, It was really weird we headed passed a crash but no one was helping the person who was injured they were just standing around watching, doing nothing, this person was in the middle of a 3 lane road and no one went out to help, it seemed a bit fucked up to me, I don’t know what the rules are here, but that is just messed up.
Our bus swung passed and then we were away and back up to speed in no time. The night slowly wore on and our bus rumbled south, sleep came and went as if I was in a dream, sometimes I would look at the time and In would have been asleep for an hour other times just a few minutes, the night seemed to blur, the finally pulled up at a food stall and everyone was woken up not by the driver but one of the food venders shouting us awake so he could make money on his overpriced food and drink, thanks mate for that I went and brought some food off his competition. That’ll show him.
After a half hour break it was back on the bus and off again, I ended up reading my book and finishing that off, by the time I had finished it was getting close to 3am, I was just starting to feel tired again, time again started to blur between awake and asleep, drifting in and out each time hoping that this would be the last time I would wake and we would be there to Krabi, the long awaited krabi. It was not to be at 6am after some broken sleep, we stopped to meet up with the ferry bring passengers from Ko Samui and the Islands of the East coast, then it would be back in the bus for a few more hours.
The only thing that was good about the stop was it gave me time to stretch and get my legs moving again. The bus drive curled up in a little compartment to snatch a couple of hours sleep, I think he had the better deal than us, at least he could lie down. Finally after a two hour wait we were back in the bus and off again, we stopped a hundred or so meters down the road to pick up more passengers, I had paid for the direct bus and here we were stopping all the time. You really get what you pay for in Asia, NOT.
Finally after 16 hours I arrived at Krabi and well there an’t much there so I booked a boat over to Rail eh beach, most of the others on the boat were off to Ko Phi Phi, maybe next time if there is one. The boat trip to Raileh was nice, the weather was good and the water was calm, I could hear it calling my name as the boat plowed through the waves, or that could have been one of my other personalities, but any way something was telling me that I needed to go for a swim.
I arrived and found accommodation and headed straight for the beach and a swim, WARM water, some people say they don’t like it because it feels like you’re in a luck warm bath, but I love it, I can spend hours out there and not get cold. After 3 hours I finally dragged myself out and headed back for a shower and some food, I had decided to go Rock climbing for half a day the next day see what it was like, this is supposed to be the rock climbing Mecca of Thailand and I was in the heart of it. It would be interesting as I have not climbed for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment