Sunday, August 9, 2009

Hills with a sore back


Well my body had done it again, something had gone wrong, this time it was my back from the rock hard bed that I slept on, I realize these people sleep on the floor but give your guest a bit of luxury and provide soft beds. My back had been a bit sore the day before but this was terrible, I could hardly even stand up straight, I dropped a load of pain killers and would have to just hope that would help. Yesterday my back was alright while riding it was just walking was the problem.
I managed to crawl out of bed and pack everything, Mike and Kat were waiting down stairs for me, I was tempted to let them go on and I would just stop for a day, but it would mean the horrible bed again so best to carry on. We loaded up and once again when I was riding it was not too bad, the road headed out and then started to climb into the hills, at some point we would be able to see the lake that was up this way then we would head again west towards the border with China.
The road climbed for a while out of Yen Bai then we came to the top and a stunning view of the lake and all its islands were below us, it was a stunning vista, we climbed up on to viewing tower and looked out over cloud covered hill and a glittering lake below, well it might not have been that good, my back was screaming at me telling me not to walk around. I laid down on the cool marble surface of the viewing tower and Kat offered to give my back a bit of a massage, well she managed to find the right spot because afterwards it felt a lot better and I felt I could carry on.
We stooped in a road side café and had coke and bread with cheese for breakfast the hills were rolling away in front of us and rolling away from behind were we had just come, we were seeing Local tribes people in their colorful dress but that was still few and far between. As we headed west the heat of the day started to take its toll on everyone, its one thing to ride the roads its another to ride hills in 30+c temperatures. Mike had gone through about 4 shirt changes and I was wishing I had done the same.
We finally made our way into Pho Rang at about 4pm the sun was still stinking hot but we had made the days miles. We found a room and unloaded the bikes, my back was feeling better after a days riding, so if you have back problems get on ya bike and ride. After a bit of a wash up we headed out into town to find food and managed to find a place with a English menu, at least we would not get the wrong thing tonight and it was only a 70km ride the next day, saying that it was looking like being more hills and more winding roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment